Saturday, June 22, 2013

Classroom Organization: Common Core Math Binder

My binders seem to be one of the hot topics of my blog, so I thought I would go into a little more detail about my CCSS - Math binder.  You can see that I have re-done the cover (I've re-done them all, but more on that at a later time!).


This is what the inside looks like:


The very first thing you see is the CCSS check off list that I got from MissMathDork. She has created these wonderful checklists for all the common core math standards.  The best thing about them is that they are FREE!  You can get them here:

K - 2      3 - 5      6 - 8

The next tab is a printed version of the CCSS, which you can get HERE.

The next tab is a list and a set of posters for the Mathematical Practices.  You can find several versions on TpT HERE

I printed this set from Jordan School District and they are FREE!


The math dept in my district put together packets for all the teachers with resources in them. The next two sections come from that packet.  The district didn't want to re-create the wheel, so they borrowed materials from states that had already implemented the CCSS.

The first are documents from the Arizona DOE. The document titled, Arizona's Common Core Standards - Mathematics, goes through each standard and lists the mathematical practices aligned to the standard and gives an explanation and examples. They have added a new feature, called Placemats, that  have all the standards listed on one sheet.


The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction also put together a similar document where they have "unpacked" the standards.

Kg      First      Second      Third      Fourth      Fifth      Sixth      Seventh      Eighth


If you teach ELA you can find the links HERE.

One of my favorite documents is the Common Core "FlipBook."  It was compiled by the Kansas Association of Teachers of Mathematics. They gathered information from a number of places including the Ohio and N. Carolina DOE (states which had already started using the CCS). The "FlipBook" provides a sample of instructional strategies and examples. The "FlipBooks" can be found for Grades K-8 and High School.  I haven't printed this document as it is about 70 pgs, but I do have copies of it saved on my computer.

Kg      First      Second      Third      Fourth      Fifth

Sixth      Seventh      Eighth      High School

Now it appears that the Arizona DOE put together their own FlipBooks for the high school standards which has links included. You can find it HERE.

The last tab is a document that I found that lists all the CCSS and how they match up with the textbook that we use.

There is a misc tab in there (the green one) that has a document about how our state is transitioning to the CCSS.

I haven't printed these yet, but here are wonderful vocabulary list by grade level by Jordan School District.

Kg      First      Second      Third      Fourth      Fifth

You can also find vocabulary cards already done for you HERE.

I hope that this post has been useful and not too wordy.  Let me know if you have any questions!

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your binder in detail. I pinned this so I can look at all the links later next week when I begin to work on aligning my math curriculum to CC.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of resources out there. I posted the ones I found most useful!

      Delete
  2. This was very helpful! Thanks for the Common Core links. Pinning it!

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are finding the links useful!

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is a definite pin! I also saved all the lists for my grades. You did a wonderful job of organizing all the common core standards for math. Thank you!

    Mary
    Teaching Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! All of these links in one place, and all are excellent. That's for doing the digging for us:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing so many great resources! I am in the process of gathering all of my CC tidbits into a binder as well. I am a second grade teacher, and find this very helpful. I have used NC's resources and think they are great. Just found your blog through the Optimum Organization linky and am a new follower! Look forward to reading future posts...

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the resources will be helpful!

      Delete
  6. I love all of your binder posts. I'm working on binderizing all of my resources. I'm hoping to post them soon.

    Brandi
    Success in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  7. I love this whole notebook and I can't wait to put one together for my grade. Do you use this on a daily basis? How do you use it in the classroom? Do you use it for planning?

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly use it for planning. I'm part of the math pacing guide team for my district. The team comes up with the pacing for the whole year with resources. I used the documents to make sure I had an understanding of the standard when looking for resources for that standard (I hope that makes sense!)

      If I was in a district that I was on my own for planning, I would use it as my go to reference when doing all my planning. It lets you know how in depth you need to take a standard, so that will help with planning units and how long it needs to be.

      I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Great organization in this post to help me get everything I'd need. I had to pin it so I could remember to come back to it. Thanks for sharing.

    Mercedes
    Surfing to Success

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your binder looks phenomenal! Thanks for sharing all the awesome links:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an incredible notebook! Thanks for linking up with us.
    Elizabeth
    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your binder!! It looks so organized and like a great reference tool!

    Molly

    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete