Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Book Review Tuesday: Shapes in Math, Science and Nature

Shapes in Math, Science and Nature by Catherine Sheldrick Ross. 
Illustrated by Bill Slavin.
Synopsis from publisher: 

 The three most basic shapes -- squares, triangles and circles -- are all around us, from the natural world to the one we've engineered. Full of fascinating facts about these shapes and their 3D counterparts, Shapes in Math, Science and Nature introduces young readers to the basics of geometry and reveals its applications at home, school and everywhere in between. Puzzles and activities add to the fun factor.

When I requested to review this book, I wasn't certain what to expect. It was a book about shapes. My students in 5th and 6th grade know their shapes...

I was pleasantly surprised by what I found inside. There is a little bit of everything included in the book. You will find history of the shape, how the shape has been used throughout history, how it is used in architecture, games using the shape, origami, and idioms. This is just a short list of the wonderful things you will find.

This is definitely a book that I will be purchasing to put on my keeper shelf. I can see using it to introduce my geometry units as well as using it during social studies or science class. The information that is included in the text is just that varied.

I could see this being use in an elementary classroom as well as in a middle school. There is basic information for younger children but also much more difficult material that will interest the older children (Pythagorean theorem and pi).


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment