Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Book Review Tuesday: Sequoyah and His Talking Leaves by Wim Coleman and Pat Perrin




Sequoyah and His Talking Leaves:  A play about the Cherokee Syllabary


Illustrations by Siri Weber Feeney

From the publisher:

In the early 1800s, white settlers and missionaries were intent on bringing the English language to the illiterate Native Americans. Sequoyah was intrigued by these leaves of paper with strange marks that talked. Doing what no one had ever done before, Sequoyah set about creating a written Cherokee language - helping preserve the tribe's history and culture even today.

My review:

I think this is definitely something that I would use in my classroom during our Native American unit.  My students love reading plays and this would make a great story for readers theatre.

I liked how the story let the reader know when they are reading fact and when they are making conjecture. I would definitely consider this a fiction title based on real events.

The publishers suggest this for grades 3-5 and I agree with that. I can definitely see using it with my 5th graders.

You can get this book at Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment